The pre-2014 era had courageous journalists exposing the underbelly of political patronage and corruption that brought down governments. In fact, The prime reason for Modi’s ascendancy to throne is fierce and persistent journalism. Coalgate, 2G, CWG, Telgi, Bofors, Adarsh, Abhishek Verma etc. were clues till journalists pursued them and made politicians run for cover. It was an era where clues were pursued and painstakingly followed to expose the mighty. It was an era where investigations were greater than the discussions in TV rooms. It was also an era where media would question and not defend. I dare say that in the current times, If BJP were now to do the same acts, it wouldn’t be as big an issue and we will have people defending it.
Something changed in 2014. We now have citizens defending the government and media trying to prove that there is no scam. We now have Scamsters celebrated and Messengers shot. We have taken sides on ideologies than issues. Corruption is rationalized with whataboutery. And everything flies in the name of nationalism and religion.
BJP’s claim to fame has also been a strong nation with emphasis on its defense might, a perception built by repeating a lie many times. Verbal diarrhea notwithstanding, The 5 security incidents that embarrassed India in the last 50 years are:
- Flying the national carrier and handing over the dreaded terrorist Maulana Azhar by a senior cabinet minister to terrorists.
- Kargil, where we realized that our territory was occupied by terrorists and soldiers of Pakistan. And then over the bodies of 527 soldiers and arms/limbs of 1363 more, BJP proved its military might. All along, we were sleeping.
- 3. The parliament attack where the nation was held to ransom for a few hours.
- Mumbai Attacks: Where a siege was mounted on Mumbai and Narendra Modi as CM of Gujarat went on a tour while the operation was on only to further his credentials.
- And now, we have almost given up Doklam and chose to not discuss China’s aggressive military base constructed right under Modi’s nose.
Four of the five embarrassments were under BJP while they ruled just about 10 years. That says a lot!
The squeaky clean image of BJP is a myth and Rafale blows it up like no other. Jay Shah is not the symptom but the reason. Like the Congress, across the political aisle of BJP, you will have sons and daughters grabbing contracts. Yeddy, Sukhram, Narayan Rane, Mukul Roy, Pramod Mahajan, Munde, Vasundhara Raje is what BJP is. Most are corrupt till they joined BJP. In fact, BJP managed to nationalism corruption. The Jay Shah wealth, Piyush Goyal transactions and Birla/Sahara diaries and now Rafale expose BJP right at the top and targets Modi/Shah personally along with its treasurer. RaGa, whose father mastered the art of skimming cream from defense contracts also can now scream corruption.
BJP is like any other political party. The danger is their approach which causes deep divisions in the society. India is far better without our politicians but both BJP and Congress are a reality. On corruption, the sooner we understand that BJP and Congress are two sides of the same coin, the less disappointed we would be.