For those who don’t know history and want to know the alternative to the BJP leader and current Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi Ji, here is a peek.
– In 1977, Morarji Desai was not the PM Candidate. Even Charan Singh and Jagjivan Ram were in the race. He was anointed by Jai Prakash Narayan when consensus failed.
– In 1979, Charan Singh was not PM Candidate
– In 1989, VP Singh was not the PM Candidate. Devi Lal was an unanimous choice but declined to be PM and requested VP Singh to take over. Chandra Shekhar felt betrayed at the sudden announcement by Devi Lal. He even refused to serve in VP Singh cabinet.
– In 1991, PVN Rao was not the PM candidate. In the absence of any Gandhi, Sharad Pawar, ND Tiwari and Arjun Singh threw the hat in the ring. In fact, PVN surprised every one and came out of retirement to become the PM.
– In 1996, Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Deve Gowda and IK Gujral were not the PM candidates. Neither did they have a majority. They were all consensus candidates.
– In 2004, Manmohan Singh was not the PM Candidate. None of us imagined or voted for him to be the PM. It was a Sonia Gandhi vs Atal Bihari Vajpayee battle and UPA had 335/542 seats. Manmohan Singh was announced to be the PM as Sonia Gandhi declined.
This entire conversation of who the alternative to Modi is ridiculous. Depending on the composition of the house, a leader would emerge. It can be as smart as Raghuram Rajan to Mayawati to RaGa. Even within BJP, in the absence of an absolute majority, it could be Gadkari or Rajnath or Sushma. That is how our democracy goes..